Tajikistan visa was the quickest visa I have ever got and also the friendliest staff that I had met till now.
Update from 7 June 2016: Tajikistan has started e-visa facility for several countries including India. Check the site below:
The information below might not be relevant if the e-visa facility is operational.
Document requirements of Tajikistan Visa for Indian Citizens:
- Letter of Invitation (LOI) from a local tour company of Tajikistan
- Tajikistan visa application form
- Application letter requesting a permit to enter the GBAO area. Mention the itinerary and the places you are visiting in this itinerary
- 3-4 color photos
Getting the tajik visa may not be as painful as Uzbek but it can be tricky. Everytime we inquired about the visa process, we got different answers on the phone. Usually, they say come here and we will see.
Now if you have decided to visit Tajik, 99% chance is that you have Pamir mountains in your itinerary. To visit the Pamir mountains, you need a GBAO permit along with the Tajikistan visa. Without the GBAO permit it is impossible to visit Pamir mountains.
We contacted Suarez Travels and they provided us the LOI along with the vehicle service for the entire journey. With the LOI, we went to the Tajikistan Embassy with the below mentioned documents. The reception at Tajikistan Embassy was very friendly. Unlike the Uzbekistan Embassy, who didn’t even allow us inside, the Tajikistan Embassy invited us inside and offered us tea. Well they were happy that we were their first tourist applicants in last 4 months. But there was one problem – they said they will give us the Tajikistan visa right now but for GBAO permit, we will have to keep our passports there and it will take around 10 days as they need approval the foreign ministry in Tajikistan. Without GBAO permit, Tajikistan visa is useless. But our agent at Suarez assured us that he can get us the GBAO permit from there and told us get the Tajikistan visa and send him the copies. And he did get us the permit within 2 days.
But a big blunder had been created by the Tajik Embassy guys. This is a very important point to check after you get the visa. The Tajik guys had given us business visas, which is indicated by the letter K in the Visa Type. We didn’t realize this until we entered Tajikistan. And in Dushanbe, our agent had to spend half day to get this rectified.
- Contact the travel agent from Tajikistan for the vehicle arrangement for Pamir mountains. He will also provide you LOI.
- Call the Tajikistan Embassy in Delhi and confirm that they have received your LOI from the travel agent
- Submit the required documents in the Tajikistan Embassy.
- You should get the visa within 2-3 hours. If the Embassy does not provide you GBAO permit, send your Tajikistan visa copies to your agent and he should be able to get it for you.